Sunday 7 June 2015

Boat bits and Boat speak

At the suggestion of a non sailor, I will put a short Glossary of sail boatspeak, so when I use any boatspeak, everyone should understand it. So here is a picture of a sail boat with most of the terms

Original picture can be found here - Original. On my boat the Jib is called genoa, because it extends past the mast and is bigger than a Jib.


Jib - Genoa on right

The above image  courtesy - By Fluzwup at English Wikipedia (Transferred from en.wikipedia to Commons.) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

My genoa, is roller furling, which means it is wrapped around a roller on my forestay. To let the sail out, I pull on a line(rope in boatspeak) and let out as much as is appropriate given the wind conditions. I currently sail with the genoa also on the 2nd reef (I only let out a fraction of the sail).
Roller Furling Genoa - Original

When I talk about reefed sail- means, the sail's size has been reduced. You can reef your main or your Genoa. This is typically done, when the wind gets too strong and the boat becomes difficult to sail. I am reefing my main and genoa as this slows the boat down and gives ms time to make mistakes while I do things. As I get more proficient and confident, I will start using the reefs for their intended purpose.
Reefed Main sail - original Reefing a sail
My main sail has 3 reef points - I am currently sailing on the 2nd reef, so the boat is not going as fast as it could go, but then again things are happening a lot slower, which is good if you don't know what you are doing :-)...

Triple Reefed main
The main sail will start off looking like the above picture and as the wind increases, you reduce the mainsail down to the picture below.
With 3rd Reef Original Image and page



No comments:

Post a Comment