Saturday 18 July 2015

Ponza

14 July, I set off from Porto Turistico at 08h00. I had the main up but it was looking a wierd shape, I went to the mast to take a look and the shackle that held the tack had come off, fortunately, all the bits were in the lazybag so I put it back together and sailed the first 2 hours. The wind was in the process of shifting, so I fired up the slave and motored to Anzio, I got there by noon and the wind had finished shifting and was now off my starboard side, for a close/beam reach, 6-9. That was pretty much the speed all the way to the Ponza, I was doing between 6-8kts, the wind held all the way to the 
My neighbor - those nasty bits of steel (with no fenders) made for a skittish docking experience..
Farewell Port Turistico di Roma
Typical wind and speed.
Gap between Main Pontine and an Islet to the North

 I decided to go through this gap between the north islet and the main island, I double checked the charts and the GPS and all confirmed a minimum depth of 5m. As I was approaching, I noticed two yachts opting to go around..  I held fast and went through, sloooooooooooooooowly.. 
And I made it with no bumps knocks or dents!

Helicopter platform on one's boat - I soo have to get with the times! 
Ponza harbour at night

View from ashore (yes they do rent those bad boys)
 We decided to stay a day exploring the main Island's caves, we had just finished breakfast, when the coast guard came to inform us that we mus move as we are only allowed to anchor there between 19h00 and 09h00 (it was 11h00) so we moved on and found a good anchorage. 
having breakfast on Flying Fyn

That little boat went *FULL* retard, the ferry had to slow down and hoot 5 times at the guy
 Exploring caves around ponza.


 These caves were from a Roman villa, that had these hollowed out for fish farms..

Shortly after sunrise on the 15th as we left Ponza for St Angelo Ischia.
Farewell Ponza

No comments:

Post a Comment