Friday 31 July 2015

Roccela Ionica

30 July, I didn't wake up at the usual 5ish,  so I didn't get my prompt 06h00 departure. Leaving Regio was pretty straight forward. The wind in the harbour was a nice 10kts from the North. As soon as I hit the channel, it picked up to a nice 15kts and a little bit of current helped. After about 5 nautical miles, the wind picked up to a nice 20ish and stayed like that almost all the way to the exit, where it got to a boisterous 33kts. The wind was directly from behind(well almost) and at that point I got up to 9kts.  The wind died shortly thereafter and it was back to the slave.  There was a bit of a current against the boat while I rounded the toe, and then it turned the other way, so did the wind, it was now blowing from behind, but at 5 kts. With about 22 NM to go, it picked up to 10-15 (not as per forecast), but I decided to keep the engine on and hoist the Jib, I was doing a nice 6-7 kts. With 10NM to go the wind shifted by 30deg and it went from 10-20 just a promptly - *NOT* in the forecast...  I carried on and decided to dock at Rocella as I needed a good nights rest as I was close to taking a nap during the day..

I caught up to NICA, a litle 24ft boat sailed by Evelyne and Stephan - I met them at Regio. They encountered the same weather patterns as I - but their boat is tiny so it was quite exciting.  Yesterday, we had a Pizza with Stephan, Evelyne, Philippe and Silvan. Philipe is sailing a little 8m boat in the same direction as us. Silvan (fixed) is in a J97, on his way home.

I'm have decided that Venice is not possible, I plan to leave the Med in September/October. To see Venice round trip would be 14 solid days (add a week for contigency), that would not allow me to see Greece or Turkey. So I will be heading off to Greece. I'm going to sleep this afternoon and go on a night sail, as it's a full moon..
Leaving dock

Farewll Regio
 The coast of the Ionian is quite bare, but there a number of smaller new towns, with the older villages stuck on some mountain top, away from the coast.. Makes you wonder of the past of this place..



 At Roccella Ionica the view of the marina from the restaurant.


 We had dinner at the local restaurant, which at night explodes. there are over 100 tables. The Piza gets sold by the 1/2 metre (its about 30 cm wide). Really good.

 So today, an afternoon nap and a star cruise!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jorge, yeah trip through Strait of Messina was great and exciting...I loved it!
    Arrived at Crotone...Had problems to get out of the box-to much Wind from behind...but Finally-at last sunshine...
    Hope to See you for breakfast?
    Cheers, Nica, Evelyne + Stephan

    ReplyDelete