Friday 14 August 2015

Corinth Canal

12 Aug, I left Galxidi earlish, as I was heading for the Corinth canal, which supposedly is closed on Tuesday's for repair. The wind was helping someone else for the first 2 hours then, it picked up and I decided I would sail - regardless of the speed as I only had to cover 40NM. I put my sail up and sailed for 2 hours, before the wind decided to help someone else.
I arrived at the Canal to discover that it wasn't closed and you could go thorough. I announced myself at 14h00 and was informed that cash or paying an agent was the only form of payment accepted. There was another boat there and he was informed to standby for 15 minutes then he could proceed - things were looking up, Athens seemed just around the corner..  Fifteen minutes went by and crickets.... We got a call on the radio after 45 minutes that there was going to be an hour delay (on top of his 15 minutes - our 45). So with nothing to do, I just drifted along the shore waiting to be called...  Eventually, we were hailed and told to prepare to go pass, a big tanker followed by a number of sailing boats exited and we were cleared to enter, first a motorboat, a sail boat followed by two other sail boats.. The two other sailboats, did not have an issue with this, one cut the 60ft sailboat in front of me off and the other was about to do the same, I radioed in and asked for clarification..  The two Maroons were instructed to stop and wait - one acknowledged the other couldn't care less.. The winds were picking up a little bit, occasionally, we would get puffs of 20 and the skies were darkening in the direction of the wind...  Passing the canal was pretty scenic, and uneventful, at the other end I docked SB to, with no help, paid, by credit card and then left for a small anchorage, just to the left of the exit, had a swim, checked if my anchor had set, fired up the braai(BBQ) and after a good meal some sleep, next day Athens.
This was building as we were about to enter the canal

Supposed to be the order, Motor boat, Fifty/Fifty, then me, then another two boats..
Quite close to the entry



Just passing the first bridge (approx 2000m along)


Second to last bridge
Finally done, paid the passage fee - 210 OORO..
Farewell Corinth Canal
Dropped my Anchor and after eating watched the sun set...
After having breakfast, watching the sun come up

No comments:

Post a Comment