Monday 10 August 2015

Mesolongion

8 Aug, I left Paxos again trying to catch up with Ian and Shelly - TAG, they were going to stay in Trivonia for a few days. I was planning on making it to Mesolongion, which would then make the next day a short 40NM trip. Leaving Paxos was pretty uneventful, a fire made the sunrise look pretty. Going through the islands was interesting, you would get winds that would reach up to 25kts, in no time at all, only to die immediately upon leaving the channel. I put up my sail thinking this would last, only to discover otherwise..  There was very little wind up until I entered the gulf of Corinth, then it was blowing from the east - prevailing summer winds are supposed to be westerlies...

Approaching Mesolongion, I could see a boat well heeled over. They barreled pretty much under full  canvas, in the channel, tacked narrowly avoiding another boat, exited. Then they turned around and re-attempted to enter the channel with pretty much full canvas, they put their fenders up already in a 30m wide channel, dropped their main and were under sail, on the port side..  I was watching  all of this and kept a nice safe distance as I was entering. However, even in neutral I was getting too close to them. They were consistently on the port side (the wrong side), so I was going to overtake on starboard. The skipper then got on the radio to kindly remind me that they were a sailing boat, I responded that was their choice and they should stop messing around in a narrow channel and get control of their boat. I passed regardless at 3kt on the starboard side with sufficient space. I watched the boat come in and they were consistently on the port side, even outside the marked channel. They docked as they pleased and informed the port authorities that their were not comfortable entering the port with the winds as they were blowing..





Consistently on the wrong side of the channel and messing around, even though they had a fully functioning engine.

I filled up, you call and a small diesel truck comes and fills you up, the price was the cheapest so far, even the marina was 20 ooro.. I had a light snack for dinner and left next morning, with the expectation of catching up with TAG in Trizonia.. Leaving Mesolongion, next am, there was little wind

Leaving mesolongion

Leaving Mesolongion canal

No comments:

Post a Comment