Friday 13 May 2016

Cape Marina - Florida

9 May
Nassau to Cape Marina - 380 NM

After seeing a rather burnt and happy Amanda off, I started readying the boat and I set off at 1000 as the tide was ebbing. I went westwards as I could fit under the bridges.. This was going to be my first real solo long trip, about 280NM and two days.  The weather forecast was for easterlies 10-15, which was prefect.. I was doing 6-7kts and round about sunset I was just rounding the Berry Islands. The wind had shifter a bit and now was directly from behind, so I dropped the sails and resorted to the slave..
Sunset North of Berry Islands
 After a good night, my cold aside, I was treated to another awesome sunrise... At about 0800, I was rounding Freeport and he wind died down to 5-6kts. As I was passing the western side of Grand Bahama Island I ran into brief currents against me and the wind was just not doing anything.. At about 12h00, the wind sarted picking up and it was off the beam. Sadly I was unable to sail - with that amount of wind and the 3-4kts of Gulf stream I would arrive at 0200 he next day, so I had to just le the slave do it's thing.. Once in the Gulf sream, the highest current I measured was 4kts - sure glad no going against that thing...
Another great sunset followed by a good night and I was treated to  another awesome sunrise, this approximately 30NM from  Cape Canaveral.
 I arrived at the Marina and was asked to dock the boat in a spot which is barely wide enough for the boat and the distance between the mooring piles is 44ft... Tightest docking I have accomplished..

Once I docked I noticed my stove was hanging wierdly - the swivel mounts had snapped off, so a bit of minor maintenance.. After a night of uninterrupted sleep I set off cleaning the boat and  doing odd maintenance jobs.
Best advice


No comments:

Post a Comment