Tuesday 5 July 2016

New York

19 - 20 June 200 NM


Delaware to NY 160NM
Gravesend Bay - manahaset Bay 40NM

We departed anchorage and had the tide against us for the till about 1200, then it turned and we got a nice bit of help.  We left the Delaware and headed up the coast, Nordic Belle was off to see friends and I was off to Rhode Island as I had started taking on water, fortunately it was really a small amount and it wasn't getting any worse.. The wind picked up shortly after 1400 and it was blowing 15-20kts pretty much till 2000 and then it died down to about 10kts. We passed Atlantic city just after sunset.  That night I didn't get too much sleep as that is quite  a busy stretch of coast and there was always some vessel within 1NM.
Sunrise - red sky at dawn..

I was originally thinking about going to Rhode Island on the outside as it would be quicker, but the weather forecast for that trip wasn't looking good so I opted to go through the sound as I had plenty of protection and I could stop for some sleep.. I made quite good progress and arrived at Gravesend  Bay, just off Coney Island at about 1400, where I anchored and waited for the tide to turn, so I could make my way through the East River to Long Island sound.

I managed to chat to Janine, she is on the round the world Clipper boat, they were leaving for Island, I got to see the fleet set sail past me..

I spent about 2 hours at anchor and although I was sleepy, I decided not to sleep and so I set off at about 1530 I set off and about 100m north of the Brooklyn bridge, I heard a thump - I looked back and there was a bloody big railway sleeper, which I guess I had just glanced off the hull.  I looked around the boat and established I had incurred no damage.  The trip through the east river was quite nice a nice way to see New York, passing under all the bridges reminded me of being a a cathedral... I managed to navigate the east river wihtout further incident and found myself in Manahaset Bay, shortly before sunset, with just enough time to stuff my face and get some uninterrupted sleep (which was pretty awesome).


Atlantic City
 A full moon that night..
 Yet another sunrise...

 The moon retiring after her shift..

New York..
Brooklyn Bridge

Approaching Gravesend Bay - the Clipper fleet were setting off to Ireland



CV31 - Janine's boat
 The last of the fleet on her way..
 NY in the distance..
 Ans we are off, first one is the Brooklyn bridge..





 Manhattan in the distance..
 Lady liberty on the left Manhattan ont he right..



Lady Liberty
Up the east river we go..




































 Just past Hells gate, the current was up to 4kts now, with me...




 The last of the bridges and cool lighthouse

Seatree - they have these things out for berds to chill out - they have red ones too, but the birds don't like them too much I have noticed..

At anchor in Manahaset Bay, for a good night's rest...

No comments:

Post a Comment