Sunday 24 May 2015

Marseilles to La Ciotat

With the winds finally dying down, we were off...  The winds were from the W/SW, undocking was straight forward, I managed to get my fenders stowed and sails up by the time I left the harbour entry. I was a really good day's sail with winds between 15-20 kts off the stern, with the swells - could not have asked for better, cruising speeds were 5.5-7.5kts. I'm still only sailing with a hint of sails(my main is on the 2nd reef and the genoa was on the 4th reef).
Farewell Marseilles

Chateau d'Iff

Flying Fyn hoisting sails

Flying Fyn under way

Rescue services practicing
 Shortly after we passed Fiol, we saw the rescue services hoisting a man off the rescue boat - guess they were practicing.
The Callanques

Fleet on the horizon
 In the horizon, you can just make out a fleet of boats - it was the wooden boats, that were in Marseille Harbour. The leat boat flew past the picture I took was not in focus(I got to get the hang of the photo thing on the moving boat)
Flying Fyn with Sormiou just ahead

Nice boat

Flying Fyn

They are catching me up


Smoked by an old girl
 This old girl smoked me.. I was doing about 6.5kts.. I only had a hint of sails though..
Entering La Ciotat Grand Plage


Shortly after we anchored, two water bombers were practicing and we got to see them in action, with a few low flyovers.. 

Overall a very enjoyable day's sailing, and a good night's anchoring. The winds were forecast for up to 30kts from the N, and there was no swell..  That was till 03H30, the following morning, the wind had swung to the east and the swell from the south... This time, I had secured the boom (and stopped my vang chewing my mast), put the paint can in the aft lazarette, so other than the rocking of the boat, *NO* loud squeaking/rattling noises, so a good night's sleep was had...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment