Wednesday 29 July 2015

Reggio Calabria

28 July, left Vibo at 06h00, forecast was for variable winds 5kts till 9 then 9kts NW.. The winds were variable and not of much use, so I fired up the slave... With about 20 knots to go, the wind became useful, so I got in 2 hours of sailing. As I approached the Straights of Messina, I dropped my sails as it was quite a busy channel and I didn't want to be faffing around in big boat traffic dropping my sails, I also opted to stick to the eastern side of the channel, (instead of using the western channel for larger traffic). I had read about the currents etc, supposed to be 1 kts or there abouts..

The entry into the Strait, was uneventful, a 1 kt current helping me along, the channel gets deep fairly quickly at about 200m off it is already 20 m deep. About 5 miles in the wind went from 9ks to 19kts (not in the forecast), also noticed a standing wave, across the whole strait.. Checked depth an things looked good, going through the set of waves was easy enough, a this point I was approaching a pretty busy ferrry terminal, with two ferries loading, one departing and two waiting to dock. I noticed I wasn't moving much... Checked my SOG (speed over ground) 1.5 kts, boat speed - 5.5kts..  A nice bit of current.  I decided to add more power as he ferries were going along their business and did not care much for a pesky  little boat. I got the boat speed up to 6.5 kts(not quite rental power setting) but was barely moving a 2 knots. I considered putting up my Jib, but given I had noticed that the seams on two of the panels had come undone, I decided against it as I didn't want to risk damaging the sail further and so I, sloooooooooooooooowly motored on.  As I rounded the ferry terminal, I got closer to land and the current decreased down to 1kt and then virtually nothing.  The wind was helping quite nicely blowing up to 25ks from the stern. Docking went fairly smoothly.

I completed the formalities and was greeted by Servio - he is mentioned in the guide books. He offered Parmesan, Salami, white or red wine. I told him later.  After dinner, Servio showed up and he drove to his place, tried some of he wine, cheese, so I bought some cheese, salami and 6 bottles of wine, he threw in another two for good measure.

I had decided to spend a day here, fixing my sails as the wind in this area is pretty strong and I didn't want to risk turning a small torn seam into a large tear..   I woke up this am, checked the forecast - 9-10kts from the north. I fell for it.... The wind started at 10 and has been blowing steadily over 20..  All the forecasts were *WRRRRONG*.  I  dropped he jib, and got to work.. I was prepared for a quick 2 hour job(note no 5 minute job), repairing he two torn seams... Was I in for a surprise! The first 30cm or so of all he seams - the stitching was chaffed and damaged.. So I spend the day from 07h00-17H00, sewing my jib. True to the guide book, Saverio, showed up around 09h00 and a croisant for every person on every visiting boat. I got two. Saverio showed up and took me for coffee and tonight, I will join Servio for dinner at his favourite tratoria and tomorrow, I'm off, that is assuming I get my jib up...

*UPDATE* - with the help of marina staff, I put my jib up, the wind was blowing steady 20kts.. It was done *QUICKLY* as there was no sign of it abating. I went for Dinner Saverio, to a local taverna and dinner was chosen by him.  It was pretty good local food. I paid for dinner and I got thanked I was called "cornudo" (I guess Italian term of endearment). Saverio offered more wine as his thank you and wanted to know if he could bring me a croisant for breakfast or more bread - I told him I was leaving at 6, he was insisting, but it is one thing for me to get up at those hours and totally another to get someone out of bed.
In the channel, out of the Big boys way

Standing wave across the channel

Safely docked..
Buying Cheese, Cured meats and wine at Servio's

Fixed up

Yet another seam to fix..
 All the panel joints were in this state - guess it is abrasion from winding on sail to tight, I'll have to be more careful going forward.
Fixed..


No comments:

Post a Comment