Saturday 25 July 2015

Vibo Valebntia - Stela del Sud

23 July, I left anchor and the forecasts were for isolated thunderstorms.. So I set my second reef and hoisted the sails, I got off to a flying start, with the wind dying down in 15 minutes.. I was sailing past a valley, so the Katabatic wind was blowing, once left the valley, nuttin!.. I ended up motoring all the way, fortunately with no thunderstorms, although I could see the clouds building and hear the thunder.  The last two hours, the wind picked up and it was blowing off my stern, I had put my main away some time back so I just unfurled my Jib and immediately was getting 1-1.5 kts, which was nice. I arrived at Vibo at 17h30ish, filled up and I could see the dark clouds arriving.. No sooner had I docked when it started thundering and a few spits of rain.. But no thunderstorm.  Docking here was a pleasure, there were 3 people to help, two on the dock and one just jumped on the boat and tied my bow, while I grabbed the stern..  It is extremely cheap and nice, so I have opted to take a couple of days, yesterday, did a bunch of 5minute boat jobs (the whole day), I fixed some loose woodwork in the main cabin (I did not for some reason fix this when I bought the boat) and I ran some wire to put a 12V socket with USB adapters in the cabin..  The forecast for Thursday and Friday were for storms, one did arrive, but wasn't particularly exciting, it looke fairly ominous, but the winds only got to 25kts and a bit of rain. The boat next to me set off, he was back within the hour apparently it was nicer at dock..
Ominous clouds

The ducks opted to go ashore..

Not looking good.

Today is provisioning and planning and tomorrow might be off to Messina.

No comments:

Post a Comment